The Solixon A-20 class ABB 20 x 20 cm Solar Simulator
The Solixon 20 is a class ABB Solar Simulator intended for continuous operation (24/7). Options available for class A+AA, AAA or AAB.
This equipment also can work as a light soaker as it is intended for long duration operation.
This system is a complete current-voltage (I-V) measurement environment for the most demanding user.
The turnkey solution contains the following elements:
- 1 x Maintenance Free Solar Simulator (MFSS) - Solixon A-20
- 1 x I-V Basic system, Keithley source meter, model 2401 SMU
- 1 x I-V Tracer software
- 2 x Solar cell probes, low resolution micromanipulator
- 2 x Solar cell probes, high resolution micromanipulator
- 1 x Calibrated Reference Si-solar cell
- 1 x PC computer under Windows 7 Pro
All equipment is configured in our factory to reduce the setting costs at the customer site. The computer and software are fully installed and configured to be ready after unpacking and connecting.
The long lifetime Lumixo light engine from Solaronix generates a continuous light spectrum corresponding to a class A spectrum (option for spectrum class A+). This system is designed to illuminate any type of solar cell up to 20 x 20 cm.The Lumixo light engine is illuminating the 20 x 20cm sample area with a stability and irradiance uniformity within class B (option for non-uniformity class A).
The system consists of a light engine fit into a reflector box (diffuse illuminator). A 15 mm to 170 mm wide sample holder access gap is granted between the sample holder top surface and the reflector bottom to accommodate probes and other contacting devices having height lower than 150 mm.
The light engine of the simulator and I-V measurement system are controlled by the computer.
- Maximum power determination (MQT 02) according IEC 61215-2:2016 & IEC 61646:2008 norms
- Measurement of temperature coefficients (MQT 04) according IEC 61215-2:2016 & IEC 61646:2008 norms
- Measurement of nominal module operating temperature (NOMT) (MQT 05) according IEC 61215-2:2016 & IEC 61646:2008 norms
- Performance at STC and NOMT (MQT 06) according IEC 61215-2:2016 & IEC 61646:2008 norms
- Performance at low irradiance (MQT 07) according IEC 61215-2:2016 & IEC 61646:2008 norms
- Stabilization (MQT 19) according IEC 61215-2:2016 norm
Specifications of Maintenance Free Solar Simulator (MFSS) - Solixon A-20
Spectrum: Class A as per IEC 60904-9, JIS8912, ASTM E 927-05
Irradiance: 700 to 1200 W/m2.
Irradiance uniformity: Class A as per IEC 60904-9, JIS8912, ASTM E 927-05
Class ABB specification is obtained in the irradiance range from 800 to 1100 W/m2. Lower irradiance settings may reduce the characteristics to class BBC.
Irradiance stability: Class B as per IEC 60904-9, JIS 8912, ASTM E 927-05 if the room temperature stays constant.
The characteristics are measured with the illuminating unit loaded with black material (e.g. «Rosco» black foil), if no optical load is provided by the customer.
The sample holder contains:
- a drawer under the illuminating unit
- a thermostated table (sample holder) made of anodized aluminum plates having an internal cooling system.
The thermostated sample holder can be maintained at a constant temperature (+/- 2°C) between 20°C and 55°C when loaded with a light absorbing sample and the lamp power set to 1000 W/m2 irradiance.
Due to the vast variety of solar modules and encapsulation types possible, it is strongly recommended to provide us with actual samples, so finer temperature specifications may be given for the sample holder.
Unless otherwise agreed in the acceptance tests, the sample temperature is measured with PT100 sensors attached on the back side of the device.
I-V System Basic
Our I-V System Basic is built around the well-known Keithley 2401 Source meter. This proven instrument has all it takes to measure I-V curves (both dark and illuminated) on solar cells. The available current range has a minimum of 10 pA and a maximum of 1A, where the voltage ranges from 1μV to 20V. Unlike the more expensive Keithley sourcemeters that interface by USB, this instrument can only be controlled by a GPIB interface. In our basic I-V System we include a GPIB/USB interface for computer connection of the sourcemeter.
When measuring solar cells, it is very important to use a thermostated sample holder, to avoid measurement due to thermal drift of the sample.
Another important parameter for solar cell metrology is the temperature. A high precision, class A Pt100 temperature sensor including computer interface (USB) is provided with this basic IV-System.
Please note that the Tracer I-V Curve Software is required to operate the I-V System Basic.
- Instrument for measuring I-V curves (both dark and illuminated)
- Current range min. 10pA and max. of 1A
- Voltage range 1μV to 20V
- Including GPIB interface
- Including class A Pt100 temperature sensor with USB computer interface
I-V Measurement Software
A powerful software named Tracer, controlling the electronic load, allows a user-friendly operation, going from simple current-voltage (I-V) plot tracing to more advanced device characterization. It seems logical for this measurement to use a standard power supply, because a power supply is normally used to provide a variable voltage and current. Unfortunately, this would not work for solar cells.
A solar cell generates current, so you will need to have a power supply that sinks this generated current instead of provide it. This can be done with a so called bi-polar power supply (or electronic load). This is a power supply that can sink and source current at both positive and negative voltages. There are many instruments on the market that can be used a such a bi-polar power supply. Some of them are just bi-polar power supplies while others integrate measurement and control capabilities as well.
Tracer will let you define and setup a system based on different instruments to measure your I-V curves. You can add multiplexers to automatically measure multiple cells by using one single measurement system, implement contact checking and measure monitoring solar cells.
Some examples of the supported hardware:
- Keithley 2400 series
- Keithley 2600 series
- HACKL Electronic Loads
- Kepco BOB
- B&K Electronic Loads
- Toellner loads info
- EKO MP-180 Curve Tracer
- National Instruments Data Acquisition
- MODBUS / Ethernet controlled instruments
Of course Tracer natively supports the control of all Keithley 2400 and 2600 series SourceMeters. These instruments have proven their strength over time for the measurement of solar cells. They range from 0.1fA – 20 Amperes.
Tracer is developed with the latest Microsoft.NET Technology, which resulted in a modern ‘Microsoft Office' look and feel. A stable operation on the Microsoft Windows platform is guaranteed (Vista or higher).
Other popular platforms like Linux and MacOS will be supported in the future.
Solar cell probes
The High Resolution Solar Cell Probe is a precise probing unit enabling accurate current/voltage measurements on solar cells.
The High Resolution Probe is designed primarily for probing targets of approximately at least 13 microns in size at a 80 TPI resolution (320 μm per 360° turn). It is available with a magnetic base in either left or right hand models.
The 125 mm x 125 mm scanning area allows positioning on a broad range of solar cell materials. Each axis is spring loaded to prevent backlash, and the control knobs are conveniently placed at the rear of the micropositioner to allow one hand control over three axes at the same time. The probe mount is electrically isolated from positioner body.
Optional: 4-wires Kelvin Configuration
The High resolution Solar Probe can be used in a true 4-wire Kelvin configuration. This means that the possible voltage drop over the current wire is eliminated by measuring the voltage at the sample directly. The wires are electrically isolated from the body. To measure a solar cell in 4-wire Kelvin configuration a second Solar Cell Probe or a base plate with voltage sense is required.
- Dedicated probing unit to enable high quality current/voltage measurements on solar cells
- High precision positioning
- Suitable for a broad range of solar cells
- 13 μm target
- Left-handed or right-handed models
- Suitable for substrate and superstrate measurements
- Standard configuration: incl. Tungsten probe, 25 um tip, 25mil shank
- Spring tip holder is very robust and accepts any of the available probe tips with shank diameters ranging in diameter from 10 to 25 mils.
- No special tools are required for loading and unloading the tip from the holder.
- 45° angle
- Including solid case
Reference Si solar cell
The standard crystalline silicon reference cell manufactured by ReRa is a high-quality precision sensor for the determination of solar simulator irradiance levels. ReRa uses the Radboud University Nijmegen PV Measurement Facility to calibrate the cells indoor. The calibration is done against an established set of reference cells calibrated at NREL and Fraunhofer ISE. These references are measured each year at the spectroradiometer and broadband intercomparison to ensure traceability.
- Lower cost reference cell
- Calibrated against traceable reference set
- Irradiance and temperature readout
- Protective Quartz (standard) or Schott KG glass window
- Compatible with the Tracer I-V software
- Open and shunted version available
- Several filter options (KG# window) to match spectral response, KG number to be specified at order.
- Including full calibration report (I-V curve plot, Isc, Voc, Impp, Vmpp, Fill Factor and Efficiency)
- Including cables to connect reference cell in a 4 wires configuration
- Including protective suitcase
- Shunted Silicon Reference Cell
- Open Silicon Reference Cell
All reference cells can be ordered with a KG3 or KG5 window for measurements of specific cell materials.
- KG3 window
- KG5 window
Ask for a quotation
Our engineering team is looking forward to receiving your inquiry, and is ready to assist you in determining the best equipment for your application. Send us a quotation request by clicking the "Ask For a Quotation" button above. Feel free to use the comment textfield for telling about your requirements.
- Unit type :
- Solar Simulator / Light soaker
- Light Spectrum :
- Class A
- Spectrum certification :
- By a laboratory accredited by the Swiss Accreditation Service
- Light Uniformity :
- Class B
- Light Stability :
- Class A
- Light Source :
- 1 Lumixo light engine
- Lamp lifetime :
- up to 40'000 hours (20'000 hours warranty), serviceable
- Total illuminated area :
- Sample type :
- All PV technologies
- Sample area :
- 20 x 20 cm sample area (1 silicon wafer 6'') on an extensible drawer
- Sample thickness :
- 1 to 10 mm thick samples
- Sample temperature target :
- 25°C to 50°C
- Illumination non-uniformity :
- Irradiance stability :
- Light engine cooling :
- Forced air ventilation
- Software :
- Lamp control and monitoring: lamp and sample holder temperature, light intensity
- Dimensions :
- 48 x 52 x 123 cm (drawer closed); 48 x 84 x 123 cm (drawer open)
- Mass :
- ~50 kg
- Structure :
- Electromagnetic compatibility :
- EN 61000-3-3, EN 60555-2 (2.45 GHz ISM Group 1, Class B Device)
- RoHS conformity :
- conforms with RoHS
- CE conformity :
- yes, the components and the whole system is in conformity with the CE regulations, the system is intended for industrial and laboratory use
- Warranty :
- 24 months
- Options :
- Chiller for sample holder cooling. Vacuum pump for samples positioning
- I-V Software :
- Probes :
- I-V system basic :
- I-V system profesionnal :
- Multiplexer system :